Saturday, September 13, 2008

The Ballad of Frankie and Johnny



Frankie and Johnny were sweethearts
At least that’s what they seemed to believe.
But with a moon above
And all the birds screaming “Love!”
It wasn’t that hard to deceive.

When Johnny went in the Army
It was nineteen seventy two
The jungle was green
The Napalm was orange
And Johnny’s eyes were bright blue.

Don’t know what happened out there,
But when he came back something changed
When he walked in the yard
All the dogs up and died
He took the Y off the end of his name.

He married Frankie in April
By May she was pregnant with twins
But the day they were born
Pricked him like a thorn
Cuz instead of arms, they had fins

I don’t know what to do, he said
The U.S. economy’s failing
I’m fighting for breath
I’m worked half to death
I’m underwater and flailing.

Poor Frankie cried bitter tears
When he said “Sweetheart, the shame,
I feel I’ve been cursed
Things keep getting worse
And I’m afraid, my dear, you’re to blame.”

He took out his seven gauge shot gun
And shot her right in the eyes
He took the twins back the shed
Shot ‘em both in the head
And stood there and watched while they died.

The law caught up with him finally
In downtown they strung him up
They said “any last words
You need to be heard?
He said, "I ain’t never had no good luck.”

No comments: